Friday, May 1, 2015

Music

Life is full of choices.  Life is full of decisions.  Some good, some bad.  Life is a continuous stream of endings and new beginnings.  We distract ourselves with all the things that allow us to take our minds off of life-tv, movies, books, and music.  By engaging in these activities, it allows our minds to recharge.  To think of something outside of our ruminations.  To give our minds (and ourselves) a break in the monotony of thought patterns that become so tiresome.  

Toniight I am listening to music.  I have been on a Netflix and Hulu binge ever since we got Uverse out here in the sticks (that is the rural area for those unfamiliar with Alabama country slang).  I knew when I couldn't focus on tv any longer it was time to give my brain a break.  And despite the growing stack of magazines on my nightstand and the 6 or 7 books I currently am reading simultaneously (ok so it's more like 3 or 4), I just felt the draw of music in my soul.  I know you all know what I am talking about.  (Unless you are part of the less than 1% of the population that doesn't connect with music.)  I just thought of a song that I wanted to download and one thing led to another and I downloaded about 10 and here I sit, listening and writing.  

Music is just so healing to me (and I'm sure many, many, others).  It gives me time to reflect on things that have happened, things that I would like to happen, and daydream about things that probably won't happen.  A certain song brings up an old memory, another inspires me.  One makes me happy, another one sad.  And on and on it goes.  I can watch tv for so long and I am out like a light (ask any of my family members-who claim I have a form of narcolepsy).  I can read a book until I fall asleep.  However, I can sit in a dark room and listen to music all night and never get tired.  Growing up, I was the oddball child locked in her bedroom learning the poetry of Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix while the rest of the family were in the liviing room glued to the tv.  Guess that explains why some of the best naps I have ever had have been in movie theaters (albeit expensive ones).

A lot has happened this week.  A lot that I don't feel like writing about right now.  Good decisions, bad decisions, scary decisions, things out of my control and things in my control.  But for now, I just want to take a moment to breathe (for what feels like the first time all week), enjoy a glass of wine (or maybe two?-notice that question mark), and allow the healing power of music to take over and fill those holes I was beginning to feel.  I'm sure you can relate.  If you have ever turned up your radio because "that" song came on and it was just what you needed right then, right there, then you know exactly the feeling I am talking about.

So tonight I say cheers to music, the talented people that gift us with it, and the emotion it brings us.  

I hope your Friday is full of hope and happiness.  I hope that you can reflect back on this week and feel a sense of fulfillment and look foward to the weekend with a sense of calm.

Peace and love to you all,
Deborah

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that you're writing a blog now and you are so right about music! I love you Debba keep writing...
    Aunt Dooj ♡XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aunt Deb! I have been enjoying writing and hope to keep it up. :)

      Delete
  2. Whether you publish or not, writing can take some of the fear out of life. Somehow, seeing your feelings and thoughts in black and white has a way of giving perspective. At least it does for me. xo

    ReplyDelete