Sunday, April 12, 2015

Reflections

It's been a trial-by-fire type of week. I started my new job with one of the worst head colds I've had in years, attended a really fun bachelorette party (well my body was there but not my mind so much), and I helped send off my Mum to California for the week. 

So now here I sit, trying to watch the Game of Thrones premiere that I've waited all year on and I can't tell you one thing that has happened on it because I'm so distracted trying to catch up on the things I would normally do during the week (laundry, social media, blog, etc). It's hard to make my mind slow down and focus on just one thing when it's been on rapid-fire all week. Which is why I'm choosing now to write this blog. ;)

Earlier today, I was worried that I had made a huge mistake by taking this job because my weekend was so interrupted with putting out fires that I could barely enjoy myself at the party (hence the comment about my body being there but not so much my mind). I wondered if maybe I just wasn't used to stress like this because I haven't had a stressful job in a long time but then I reminded myself that it was just this time last year that I not only had a full time job, but also an internship and full class work. So I ruminated all the way home from the party-you know, the usual things one would pour over. "What have I gotten myself into?", "How long will I be trapped in this hell?", "Maybe I can just file bankruptcy and live in the woods the rest of my life?".

Long story short, I was reassured by my coworker that this weekend was atypical and that once we get more fully staffed my weekends won't be so hectic. (So I guess the woods will have to wait for now.)

At the end of this evening, I have finally taken a deep breath, poured a glass of wine (Dreaming Tree Crush of course), and started to unwind. 

That being said, I'd just like to close by saying that I hope you all have found your breath, your happy places, and your own time-however it is you wind down-and will take the time to reflect on this week. The good, the bad, and the insanely hectic. 

I'm going to post my favorite picture from this weekend. No it's not one of the normal ones you would expect from a bachelorette party-although, there were plenty of those taken as well. 

Instead, I'll post the one that shows the moment I found the most serenity in. The moment when I could stop and breathe somewhere in between chaos and calm. My friend Jenifer, the bride-to-be, took a few of us out in a boat on the lake of her family's property at sunset and it was just perfect. I love sundown. It's my favorite time of day. The sky becomes magic.  The colors seem brighter yet the atmosphere becomes so still and quiet that you can almost hear the world getting sleepy. 

I'm working on my balance with this new job. And blending the fun with the work is new for me but I know I'll get better at it. 

I'm just glad to know that I can still stop and enjoy a good sunset. 


Love and peace,
Deborah

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely your mother's daughter...sunsets being her favorite time of day also, and a way of letting go of the day's stress.

    ReplyDelete